Energy Analytics: Why is it Mandatory for Commercial Buildings?  

Blog Banner-Energy Analytics

The lighting system is accountable for 12% of the total electricity used in public buildings worldwide and 8% of the total electricity used in commercial buildings in the United States. In the UK, lighting accounts for 20% of energy consumption, a significant chunk of energy bills and also affects sustainability goals.  

Lighting controls can reduce  energy usage significantly.    When building analytics are installed on top of Building Management System , deriving data from devices and optimising energy usage becomes even better. To know more, please read our previous blogs on lighting controls here. 

What are Energy Analytics?  

Energy analytics provide a granular visibility into  lighting usage using advanced analytical tools and algorithms. These vital data insights on device usage, occupancy pattern, emergency monitoring and energy consumption help you to control and optimise usage without compromising on visual experience.

Let us see how the strategic process of leveraging data insights  helps you to achieve energy-efficiency.  

Make Data-driven Decisions 

Integrating lighting controls with building management systems will help you get a 360-degree report on occupancy patterns, device usage, and  emergency monitoring.  

The energy consumption reports measure, track and analyse  estimated & real energy usage over time. You will get a granular level of energy consumption data that helps you easily identify which floor, zone, group or device is consuming more energy.  

Occupancy Reports will give a clear picture on the occupancy patterns. You would be able to use this data for adopting occupancy-based lighting controls to maximize energy savings or scheduling maintenances.   

The device usage reports accurately monitor the usage of devices within the network and help you easily figure out the floors, zones, groups or devices with maximum usage.  

Emergency lighting with centralized monitoring guarantees quick health checks, diagnostics, and reporting, ensuring the lighting system is always up-to-date. 

This accurate and detailed information gives you in-depth knowledge of making data-driven decisions, resulting greater energy savings without compromising on lighting quality.   

Identify Issues 

The Carbon Trust estimates that using inefficient equipment wastes 20% of all businesses’ annual energy costs. Most users cannot still keep tabs on how their equipment is performing. As a result, they are forced to spend extra money and attention trying to find the current disparities. No doubt, continuously monitoring device usage and energy output help detect inefficiencies in the asset’s operation and take necessary measures. 

How to improve building efficiency?

Data-driven Actions are the Future

Facility managers rely on Building Management Systems (BMS) to gather data about building performance and energy usage to reduce operating and maintenance costs, improve building comfort, and save energy. This data helps to take vital measures to lower energy expenses and improve building operations efficiency. It is best to put it into action right off the bat.

If you want to know more about Data Insights, please get in touch with us


How do I choose a DALI…

In today's rapidly evolving world, safety remains a…

View Blog

Revolutionizing Smart Street Lighting: The Zhaga…

In a rapidly advancing world of technology, where…

View Blog

Seeing Beyond Light: The Role of…

Have you ever wondered how AI video analytics…

View Blog

Get the latest tips and strategies delivered to your inbox. Subscribe to Lumos Controls Newsletter.